Master of Education in Sport Management
Cleveland State University's Master of Education in Sport Management program prepares students to meet the needs of the ever-evolving sports world. Advanced educational offerings prepare graduates for professional careers related to the delivery and management of physical activity or sport programs in business, community, public, and private settings. Students will also develop strong research, analytical, computer, and strategic thinking skills that are important and required in the ever changing and demanding sport professions.
Practicums available to our students include: IMG, SPIRE Institute, professional sport organizations (e.g., Cleveland Browns, Cavaliers, Indians, Monsters, and Lake County Captains), YMCAs, and private and public health-fitness clubs, and recreation centers.
- Application Form
- $40 Application Fee
- Undergraduate Transcripts
- For all college M.Ed. programs that do not lead to a teaching license through the Ohio Department of Education, candidates must satisfy one of the following:
- Undergraduate cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.75 (3.0 if the baccalaureate degree is more than six years old at the time of application)OR
- Completion of twelve or more semester credits of Cleveland State graduate coursework (including EDB 601 or HPR 601) AND received a grade of B- or better in EDB 601 or HPR 601 with a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.0 and grades of B or better in the other courses OR
- A score at the 50th percentile on the Miller Analogies Test or on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of Graduate Record Examination
-International students are required to have met at least one of the following English language proficiency requirements:
- TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based): 78 (including at least 20 in reading, 21 in listening, 17 in writing, and 20 in speaking)
- TOEFL PBT (Paper-Based): 550
- IELTS: 6.0 and at least 5.0 in each section
- PTE (Pearson’s Test of English): 50 iTEP: 5.0
All applications must be submitted and complete on the following application deadline dates:
- Domestic Students
- International Students
- Fall Semester - July 21st
- Spring Semester - December 10th
- Summer Semester - April 14th
- HPR 601 - Research Methods in Health & Human Performance
- PED 565 - Law & Policy Studies In Sport & Physical Education
- PED 561 - Sport Governance
- HPR 610 - Survey Research in Sport Management
- HPR 682 - Practicum
- PED 560 - Program Development & Management
- PED 566 - Sport Facility Management
- PED 567 - Sport Marketing
- Select two of the following courses:
- ACT 501 - Financial Accounting
- ECN 503 - Economic Concepts
- HPR 602 - Statistics & Data Management
- MGT 501 - Management & Organizational Behavior
- PED 561 - Sport Governance
- PED 570 - Exercise Testing and Prescription
- Select one of the three options:
- Comprehensive examination
- As graduates of the program, students will have the required skills, knowledge, and hands-on experiences in starting their successful career in various sport entities, including professional sport leagues, athletic departments, recreation and health-fitness centers.
- Cleveland State University graduates with a degree in Sport Management have been very successful in securing employment. Our graduates have excellent reputations and we are represented in both community and corporate health/fitness sites, YMCAs, recreation centers, professional sport organizations, and coaching positions throughout the region and the state.
- These are some of the local companies that are hiring CSU grads: SPORtalk, YMCA of Greater Cleveland, Title Boxing Club, NBA, Cleveland Browns, and WESS.