Health Care Administration Master of Business Administration
With Cleveland State University's Health Care Administration MBA, you’ll be ready to begin or further your career in the management administration of all heath care delivery entities. You’ll combine a comprehensive academic background along with valuable real world experience in Cleveland’s world-class medical working environment.
This program provides students with an in-depth study of management theory and practice along with the knowledge and skills associated with the field of health care administration, planning, and policy analysis.
Students will develop an awareness of the interaction and interdependence of management, finance, economics, medicine, politics, and the social sciences. The program also provides a unique opportunity to gain valuable practical experience through professional site visits, shadowing, and an intensive administrative work experience. These are designed to broaden opportunities for students to gain first-hand knowledge of health-related professions, programs, and organizations.
- The Monte Ahuja College of Business is among 5% of business schools worldwide that have earned accreditation from AACSB International in both business and accounting. AACSB Accreditation is considered the hallmark of excellence in management education.
- Application Form
- Application Fee
- Undergraduate Transcripts
- Statement of Purpose Letter
- GMAT or GRE Scores
- These test score requirements may be waived for applicants with an earned U.S. doctorate (Ph.D, DBA, or MD). International applications with an earned doctorate (Ph.D or MD) must present proof of U.S. equivalency. Medical doctors must be licensed to practice in the U.S. in order to be considered for this waiver.
*Admission to the program is based on a combination of a candidate’s undergraduate GPA and the GMAT/GRE score.
-International students are required to have met at least one of the following English language proficiency requirements:
- TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based): 78 & at least 17 in each section
- TOEFL PBT (Paper-Based): 550
- IELTS: 6.0 and at least 5.0 in each section
- PTE (Pearson’s Test of English): 50
- iTEP: 3.8
All applications must be submitted and complete on the following application deadline dates:
- Domestic Students
- International Students
- Fall Semester – June 15th
- GAD 501 – Business English
- GAD 502 – Intermediate Business English
- OSM 500 – Mathematical Models for Business
These courses are waived on the basis of GMAT/GRE results (16-19th % verbal waives GAD 501; 20th % Verbal waives GAD 501 & 502; and 25th % Quantitative waives OSM 500).
- ACT 501 – Financial Accounting
- FIN 501 – Financial Management
- GAD 515 – Communications for Managers*
- MGT 501 – Management and Organizational Behavior
- MKT 501 – Marketing Theory & Practice
- HCA 511 – Decision Modeling and Statistics for Healthcare Managers**
*Students opting for the HCA MBA without taking the Administrative Capstone HCA 690 course must take or be waived from GAD 515.
**HCA MBA students who have not taken a course in Operations Management (OSM 511) should take HCA 511.
Group A Functional Core
- ACT 600 – Managerial Accounting
- HCA 601 – Financial Policies
- MKT 601 – Marketing Management
- MGT 601 – Human Resources Management & Labor Relations
- MBA 600 – Team Dynamics
Health Care Administration Core
- MBA 600 – Team Dynamics
- MBA 602 – International Business
- MBA 603 - Management of Innovation & Technology
- MBA 660 – Integrative Business Strategy
*Completion of Level 1 & 2 requirements and Group A Functional courses in Level 3 must be completed prior to enrollment
Advanced Health Care Administration Training
- HCA 616 – Seminar in Health Quality, Policy and Ethics
- HCA 625 – Health Informatics for Managers
- HCA 640 – Health Care Law and Ethics
- HCA 660 – Integrative Business Strategy
Option 1: Health Care Specialization Capstone Course
- HCA 690 – Administrative Internship/Research Project
- HCA 691 – Administrative Internship/Research Project*
*HCA 691 is for students seeking long term care certification
Option 2: Health Care Administration Without the Capstone Course
- MBA 602 – International Business
Additional Optional Classes
- HCA 650 – Long-Term Care
- HCA 685 – Health Care Internship
- HCA 698 – Independent Study in Health Care Administration
Option One requires students to take the full HCA/MBA curriculum, including the Capstone Administrative Internship (HCA 690/HCA 691) Students seeking Option One will have the notation placed on their transcript upon graduation, "specialization: health care administration".
Option Two is available to students who do not require the Capstone Administrative Internship experience. The usual reason students do not need the Capstone Administrative Experience is because they are already employed in responsible administrative positions within a health care setting. Option Two can be chosen towards the end of the student's program, and substitutes MBA 602 for the Capstone Administrative Internship course. Students choosing Option Two may also be required to take the course in Business Communication (GAD 515) if it has not been waived by prior course work. Students selecting Option Two will NOT have the "specialization: health care administration" posted on the final transcript. The curriculum otherwise is exactly the same for students accepted into the health care administration MBA.
Did You Know?
Healthcare administrators working in 2017 had an average mean salary of $98,350 per year and $47.29 per hour.
Bureau of Labor Statistics 2017
- The program is designed to provide graduate education for individuals interested in preparing for or furthering their careers in the management and administration of all health care delivery entities, such as integrated systems, hospitals, and managed care organizations. The program also provides training that leads to careers in consulting, health planning, policy analysis, and long-term care administration.
- Graduates are working in hospitals, health care organizations, private clinics, pharmaceutical companies, and other related fields.
- Graduates commonly find job positions including: hospital administrator, hospital CEO, pharmaceutical product manager, medical practice manager, health information manager, and more.
- These are some of the local companies that are hiring CSU grads: Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Soliant Health, Medical Mutual, Medimetriks, GSI, and Humana.