Master of Accountancy
Cleveland State University’s Master of Accountancy program provides students with the opportunity to develop technical and statistical skills while pursuing advanced course work in accounting or taxation. Graduates of the program are ready to enter the in-demand accounting profession, are prepared for the CPA and pursue senior-level positions. Elevate your career with a quality, affordable education that equips you with the valuable technical and statistical skills needed in this growing field.
- The Master of Accountancy program is one of only 165 accounting programs worldwide that hold Accounting Accreditation from AACSB International – the hallmark of management education.
- Application Form
- Application Fee
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Undergraduate Transcripts
Test scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) are required if at least one of the following conditions is true:
- The applicant's undergraduate degree is from a college or university without at least a regional level accreditation.
- The applicant's undergraduate cumulative grade-point average is below 3.0.
*Admission to the program is based on a combination of a candidate’s undergraduate GPA and the GMAT/GRE score.
-International students are required to have met at least one of the following English language proficiency requirements:
- TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based): 78 & at least 17 in each section
- TOEFL PBT (Paper-Based): 550
- IELTS: 6.0 and at least 5.0 in each section
- PTE (Pearson’s Test of English): 50
- iTEP: 3.8
All applications must be submitted and complete on the following application deadline dates:
- Domestic Students
- International Students
- Fall Semester - July 21st
- Spring Semester - December 10th
- Summer Semester - April 14th
- GAD 501 – Business English
- GAD 502 – Intermediate Business English
- OSM 500 – Mathematical Models for Business
These courses are waived on the basis of GMAT/GRE results (16-19th % verbal waives GAD 501; 20th % Verbal waives GAD 501 & 502; and 25th % Quantitative waives OSM 500).
- ACT 501 – Financial Accounting
- ACT 531 – Intermediate Accounting I
- ACT 532 – Intermediate Accounting II (Accounting/Audit program only)
- ACT 600 – Managerial Accounting (Tax program only)
- BLW 511 – Business Law & Ethics
- ECN 503 – Economic Concepts
- FIN 501 – Financial Management
- OSM 503 – Statistical Methods for Business Decisions
These are waivable on the basis of recent undergraduate business coursework.
Accounting/Audit Program Requirements
- ACT 600 – Managerial Accounting
- ACT 621 – Federal Income Taxation
- ACT 622 – Attest Function
- ACT 631 – Attest Advanced Accounting Issues
- ACT 639 – Accounting Policy
- ACT 560 – International Accounting
- ACT 688 – Accounting Systems
- ACT 575 – Accounting Analytics
With successful completion of equivalent courses, some substitutions may be possible.
Electives (6 Credits)
- Students are required to complete two (2) electives to fulfill their degree requirements. These may be chosen from Accounting courses or Business courses (with approval) or some combination of both.
Tax Program Requirements
Taxation (15 Credits)
- ACT 621 - Federal Income Taxation
- ACT 636 Federal Income Taxation of Corporations & Shareholders
- ACT 637 Taxation of Partnerships, Estates & Trusts
- ACT 638 Tax Research & Planning
- ACT 575 Accounting Analytics
Taxation and Accounting Electives (15 Credits)
- 9 credit hours of electives must be in taxation. Students may choose up to 6 credit hours of electives in other accounting classes.
- The Master of Accountancy program is designed to prepare students for careers in business, internal auditing, government, consulting, and public accounting.
- A large percentage of students become CPAs, and recently there has been an increased interest in the Certified Management Accountant (CMA), the Certified Fraud Examiner, the Certified Internal Audit (CIA), the Certificate in Financial Management, and the Certified Information Systems Audit (CISA) examinations.
- These are some of the local companies that are hiring CSU grads: Robert Half Management Resources, Lincoln Electric, Endeavour, US Department of the Navy, J.M Smuckers, Accounting Principals, TriMark USA, Applied Industrial Technologies, Green Key Resources, Sherwin Williams, and Key Bank.