Master of Education in Health Professions Education
Cleveland State University's master's degree in Health Professions Education offers an organized, rigorous, and comprehensive approach to developing skills necessary for the medical and health professions education leader. Since health care continues to grow in size and importance in our economy, so does the demand for well trained and effective health professionals; thus, we must find ways to improve how we organize and prepare health care professionals. The program is designed for physicians, nurses and other medical, health and clinical educators, and all health sciences professions and is currently offered in partnership with the Lerner College of Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic.
The focus of this degree is on providing the skills and knowledge necessary to educate adults who are physicians, nurses, and other medical and health educators. This degree provides the needed knowledge and skills essential for educators in the health professions to develop expertise in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of education for medical and health professionals.
- Earned bachelor’s (undergraduate) degree (Required)
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of a 2.75 (bachelor’s degree earned within six years) or 3.0 (bachelor’s degree over six years old),
- Or, complete 12 semester hours of graduate credit in the program area as a non-degree student (including EDB 601 if degree-seeking) with a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or above and a grade of B- or better in EDB 601
- Or, earn a score at the 50th percentile on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Applications for the Class of 2023 will be accepted starting October 15, 2020, through March 15, 2021.
- Review of applications will begin in March 2021
- Applicants will be notified of decisions by May 1, 2021
- Classes begin in August 2021.
- Transcripts: Please submit official transcripts from the institutions where you earned your highest degree. An "official transcript" is sent directly from the institution to our office. Hand-delivered transcripts are accepted if they are presented in the issuing institution's sealed envelope and bear the appropriate seals and signatures. Your official transcripts must come directly from the university you attended and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application Fee: A $40 application fee is required.
- Letter of support from your Chairperson or Supervisor: Please submit a letter of support from your chairperson or supervisor that acknowledges your commitment to health professions education and grants you necessary release time from work responsibilities to take part in the program. Applicants can send a request for this letter through the admission application account. This option can be accessed using the Manage Documents and Manage Recommendations tabs. Alternatively supervisors can email the letter to email@example.com. Please include your CSU ID number in all correspondences and emails.
- Personal Statement: Please submit a personal statement that summarizes your understanding of the two-year commitment to completing the MEHPE program as a member of a cohort that describes your prior educational work and explains how the MEHPE degree aligns with your career and/or personal goals. The personal statement can be uploaded through admission application account. This option can be accessed using the Manage Documents tab or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume: Please submit your curriculum vitae or resume showing relevant work and teaching experiences. The curriculum vitae or resume can be uploaded through the admission application account. This option can be accessed using the Manage Documents tab or emailed to email@example.com.
If mailing in any application materials, please mail to:
Office of Graduate Admissions Processing
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Ave., UN 301
Cleveland, OH 44115
- EDB 601 - Educational Research
- ALD 605 - Adult Learning & Development Theories and Practice
- Health Professional Education Elective (3 credits)
- ALD 510 - Learner Assessment in Health Professions Education
- ALD 511 - Educational Technology in Health Professions
- ALD 545 - Program Evaluation
- ALD 663 - Planning Programs for Adult Learners
- ALD 664 - Teaching Methods for Adult Learners
- ALD 588 - Health Professions Education Capstone Portfolio Seminar I
- ALD 589 - Health Professions Education Capstone Portfolio Seminar II
- The program is designed for physicians, nurses and other medical, health and clinical educators.
- This master’s degree program is designed to help you enhance your skills in: adult learning, curriculum design and instruction, learner assessment, program evaluation, and educational scholarship.
- These are some of the local companies that are hiring CSU grads: Kindred at Home, Cuyahoga Community College, University Hospitals, Cleveland Clinic, ConsignMed, Maxim Healthcare Services, and Adtalem Global Education.