Master of Information Systems
Cleveland State University’s Master of Information Systems (IS) program is a specialized degree program designed to prepare students for careers as information professionals. The IS track is housed within the Monte Ahuja College of Business. The coursework combines a blend of technology and management-oriented courses designed to prepare the next generation of technology managers to lead enterprises in innovative ways. Specializations within the program allow students to build specific skill sets in areas such as: information security, information technology management and business analytics.
Students may choose a Thesis, Non-Thesis, or Internship Sub-Track. Students who do not have an undergraduate degree in Information Systems or a related discipline will be required to complete the necessary preparatory courses with a grade of "B" or better. Courses in the preparatory program should be completed prior to entering the program.
- The Monte Ahuja College of Business is among 5% of business schools worldwide that have earned accreditation from AACSB International in both business and accounting. AACSB Accreditation is considered the hallmark of excellence in management education.
- Application Form
- Application Fee
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Undergraduate Transcripts
- GMAT or GRE Scores
Test scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) are required if at least one of the following conditions is true:
- The applicant's undergraduate degree is from a college or university without at least a regional level accreditation.
- The applicant's undergraduate cumulative grade-point average is below 3.0.
- If an applicant received a master's degree or higher from a college or university with at least a regional level accreditation in the United States and had at least a grade-point average of 3.0, the GMAT/GRE requirement can be waived.
For those applicants who need to complete GRE or GMAT, the following minimums will be required:
- A minimum total score of 500 if GMAT is taken; or
- A minimum of 50th percentile in the Quantitative Reasoning portion of the GRE (or a 158 in the current scale).
- A minimum score of 5th percentile for the verbal portion of the GRE (137 according to old GRE scoring system) or GMAT.
-International students are required to have met at least one of the following English language proficiency requirements:
- TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based): 78 & at least 17 in each section
- TOEFL PBT (Paper-Based): 550
- IELTS: 6.0 and at least 5.0 in each section
- PTE (Pearson’s Test of English): 50
- iTEP: 3.8
All applications must be submitted and complete on the following application deadline dates:
- Domestic Students
- International Students
- Fall Semester – May 15th
- Spring Semester – November 1st
- Summer Semester – March 15th
- IST 614 - Project Management and Scheduling
- IST 616 - Emerging Technologies
- IST 618 - Systems Thinking and Modeling for Dynamic Information Systems
- IST 621 - Advanced Analysis and Design
- IST 634 - Enterprise Databases
- IST 636 - Managing Network Security and Risk
Core courses are to be completed by all students in the MCIS IS track.
Students are encouraged to take electives in the following prescribed concentrations. These will allow students to build upon the core curriculum by focusing on an area of specialization.
IT Management Concentration
- IST 612 - Business Analysis
- IST 635 - Business Value of IT
- IST 665 - Enterprise Resource Planning
- IST 675 - IT Governance
In addition to the above courses, one additional elective is required.
Business Analytics Concentration
- BUS 575 - Introduction to Business Analytics
- BUS 600 - Applied Business Analytics
- BUS 601 - Managing Databases for Business Analytics
- BUS 602 - Strategy for Business Analytics
- IST 656 - Advanced Information Security
- CIS 675 - Information Security
- ACT 553 - Information Systems Auditing
An additional two electives are required for the Security Concentration.
- Students commonly go on to secure employment in positions such as computer systems manager, information systems manager, software administrator, support specialist, database administrator, computer programmer, computer systems, analysts, and systems administrator.
- These are some of the local companies that are hiring CSU grads: Case Western Reserve University, Department of the Navy, Emerald Resource Group, Aerotek, IBM, Randstad, NASA, and Medical Mutual.